- Language Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Language Standards
- Anchor 2 Language Standards
- Anchor 3 Language Standards
- Anchor 4 Language Standards
- Anchor 5 Language Standards
- Anchor 6 Language Standards
- Reading Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Reading Standards
- Anchor 2 Reading Standards
- Anchor 3 Reading Standards
- Anchor 4 Reading Standards
- Anchor 5 Reading Standards
- Anchor 6 Reading Standards
- Anchor 7 Reading Standards
- Anchor 8 Reading Standards
- Anchor 9 Reading Standards
- Anchor 10 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF2 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF3 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF4 Reading Standards
- Speaking And Listening title after
- Anchor 1 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 2 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 3 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 4 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 5 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 6 Speaking And Listening
- Writing Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Writing Standards
- Anchor 2 Writing Standards
- Anchor 3 Writing Standards
- Anchor 4 Writing Standards
- Anchor 5 Writing Standards
- Anchor 6 Writing Standards
- Anchor 7 Writing Standards
- Anchor 8 Writing Standards
- Anchor 9 Writing Standards
Reading Anchor Standard RF2 Level A
Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Leveled Standard A
- Recognize and produce rhyming words.
- Distinguish long from short vowel sounds in spoken single-syllable words.
- Count, pronounce, blend, and segment syllables in spoken words.
- Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
- Orally produce single-syllable words by blending sounds (phonemes), including consonant blends.
- Segment spoken single-syllable words into their complete sequence of individual sounds (phonemes).
- Isolate and pronounce initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in spoken single-syllable words.
- Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new words. (RF.K.2 and 1.2 merge)
The Affix Garden
Students manipulate shapes (flower=prefix, stem=root word, suffix=leaf) to learn about affixes and create words. Read More The Affix Garden
Invite an informative guest speaker to class (or ask a student to speak to classmates about an area of expertise). Before the visit, have students plan the questions they will ask; during the visit, encourage students to ask follow-up questions. Read More Guest Speaker
“How To” Speeches
Teacher models a simple “how to” speech. Then, students prepare and deliver their own speeches. Read More “How To” Speeches
Teacher models identifying key words in a nonfiction reading and sorting them into categories; students read another short passage and apply their categorization skills. Read More Categorizing Activity
America’s Skilled Workers: Vocabulary
Students read opens in a new window “Filling America’s Need for Skilled Workers” Newsela article at an appropriate Lexile level and underline unknown words or new vocabulary, transitional words, and specific vocabulary words related to jobs and economics. Students then use opens in a new window Quizlet to create online vocabulary cards. Finally, students create individual resumés for Virginia job/job markets that they are interested in. Read More America’s Skilled Workers: Vocabulary