- Language Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Language Standards
- Anchor 2 Language Standards
- Anchor 3 Language Standards
- Anchor 4 Language Standards
- Anchor 5 Language Standards
- Anchor 6 Language Standards
- Reading Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Reading Standards
- Anchor 2 Reading Standards
- Anchor 3 Reading Standards
- Anchor 4 Reading Standards
- Anchor 5 Reading Standards
- Anchor 6 Reading Standards
- Anchor 7 Reading Standards
- Anchor 8 Reading Standards
- Anchor 9 Reading Standards
- Anchor 10 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF2 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF3 Reading Standards
- Anchor RF4 Reading Standards
- Speaking And Listening title after
- Anchor 1 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 2 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 3 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 4 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 5 Speaking And Listening
- Anchor 6 Speaking And Listening
- Writing Standards title after
- Anchor 1 Writing Standards
- Anchor 2 Writing Standards
- Anchor 3 Writing Standards
- Anchor 4 Writing Standards
- Anchor 5 Writing Standards
- Anchor 6 Writing Standards
- Anchor 7 Writing Standards
- Anchor 8 Writing Standards
- Anchor 9 Writing Standards
Language Anchor Standard 4 Level E
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.
Leveled Standard E
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence, paragraph, or text; a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- Identify and correctly use patterns of word changes that indicate different meanings or parts of speech (e.g., conceive, conception, conceivable).
- Consult general and specialized reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning, its part of speech, or its etymology or its standard usage.
- Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase (e.g., by checking the inferred meaning in context or in a dictionary). (L.11-12.4)
Students at this level should have practice in discovering meanings of advanced words based on Greek/Latin affixes and word roots. They should apply their word knowledge in their own writing and in reading complex texts, including workplace- or subject-specific informational texts.
GED® Assessment Targets (RLA)
R.4.1/L.4.1 Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining connotative and figurative meanings from context.